Sunday, February 8, 2009

HTML vs. Blogger

Last week, we were required to create a personal USC web page with HTML for class. Since I am somewhat familiar with basic HTML and web page creation, it was not difficult. However, I can imagine how intimidating and confusing it must have been for people who have never seen HTML before, let alone are not very familiar with computers. I am confident though that after some practice, trial and error, everyone will get the hang of it.

Then, we were assigned to create a blog and post. I am sure everyone was relieved to see the ease of creating it after having to deal with FileZilla and PuTTY with HTML last week. I also have quite a bit of experience with Blogger in particular, having creating my own personal blog and a blog for my WRIT340 class only last semester. Regardless of that, Blogger makes creating a web page so much easier. It is basically the same as Microsoft Word where you bold, change color, add a link or picture with just a couple of clicks:

Although no one will have the need for HTML as a journalist in the future--with more and more web creation software releasing that is making it easier and easier--knowing basic HTML couldn't hurt. Knowing generally how a web page is held together can help make the overall picture clearer. I think it was a smart decision on Annenberg's part making HTML part of the curriculum for Journalism 309.

No comments:

Post a Comment