Tuesday, February 3, 2009

HTML vs Blogger


The past few weeks have really opened my eyes to the way the online world works. Whenever I visited a website in the past, I used to take the complexity of it for granted. For example, the slideshows on espn.com or the videos on various websites have always just been a part of the website for me. Now, I realize that it takes a lot of hard work and experience to format a website and get all the extra things such as videos, online and ready to view.

When I first started creating the only story home page on my USC Web space, I was extremely confused. I had never really heard of HTML or any of the other various terms that were crucial to the success of my web space. But, after some trial and error, I realized that it wasn't as hard as it seemed. It was actually really neat to be able to start from scratch and build a website. While it was a good experience, I don't feel like this would help me later on in life. As a future broadcaster, I don't think I will ever need to create a website from scratch using HTML. So, while I did learn a lot of new things about the online world, I don't feel like I will ever need to do this again. Moreover, this was a very valuable experience and worthwile because it enabled me to learn about something I am on every single day in the internet, but it's not something I will do again.

Creating and formatting this blog has been incredibly easy. Blogger makes it painless to create a blog and do what you want with it. It took me a total of one minute to set up this blog, while it took about a half hour or more to create the online story home page. The difference between creating the raw HTML versus creating this blog is enormous. This blog is a lot easier becuase you don't need to deal with all of the applications such as fetch and putty. While it may have been easier to create this blog, the process of creating the raw HTML was a lot more rewarding because I did everything myself. Finally, creating the blog was a better use of my time because I will use this a lot more and our society has shown that blogging is taking over.

No comments:

Post a Comment