Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Creating My USC Web Space

Working with HTML

As part of USC's curriculum, each journalism student is required to create a home page for the work that they do. To do this we are given a template that we must manipulate using raw HTML. While creating the page wasn't extremely difficult, it was definitely a little challenging if you've never done anything like that before. The template that we were given to manipulate looked like this:

It was pretty basic looking. But, using the raw HTML I was able to make the page my own, by changing the colors, fonts and sizes, and it ended up looking like this: My webspace.
I definitely think that it is important to know some HTML, and can understand USC's desire to teach it to us. After all, everything seems to moving more and more towards being web-based. However, there are so many programs now that make it possible to create web-pages without any HTML knowledge that the need to know it is probably less now than it was five years ago.

The Difference Between HTML and Blogger

Creating my first blog was definitely a different experience than raw HTML editing. Programs like Blogger make it so that you don't even have to see the HTML coding that goes into making a webpage. It's word processor type style makes it seem no more difficult than using a program like Microsoft Word; definitely easier than creating HTML on your own.

Why Know It?
Even if I never become an online journalist, I think having knowledge of both editing raw HTML and using programs like Blogger that edit the HTML for you will be useful in my future. There is little doubt that every one of us will in some way use the internet in our future careers. Therefore, I believe that creating our own webspace and blog are both valuable learning experiences to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment