Tuesday, February 10, 2009

HTML 1, Monica 0

Setting up my JOUR309 online story home page was not exactly easy. I've created websites before (http://www.dogooddocs.com/), but I've always used more simple website builder tools. The process itself was pretty interesting though and it was certainly a good introductory lesson to the world of HTML. Though I still have not been able to successfully upload my picture, I'm confident I will be able to soon. Setting up the home page itself wasn't the time-consuming part; what was more difficult was navigating programs such as FileZilla or NotePad that I wasn't familiar with.

On the other hand, it was definitely easier to set up this blog. Blogger is much more user-friendly than using HTML for the inexperienced website builder, in my opinion. It is also more interactive, which I appreciate. I like being able to see my profile updated as I make changes and I also like that Blogger autosaves every few minutes so that none of my work will (or should not) ever be lost.

Though HTML coding seems like a tool that may not be essential to my immediate success as a journalist, I wouldn't be surprised if the knowledge came in handy someday. I think both this exercise as well as the HTML exercise are equally worthwhile and valuable because I am learning new things and gaining a better overall understanding of how online journalism works. I think Annenberg does a great job of making sure its students are well-equipped with the most relevant skills in order to be good journalists, whether it be in the field of print, broadcast or online. I look forward to learning more and updating this blog with my thoughts soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment